Alien: Isolation Review

Thursday, October 09, 2014

Scared face
My scared face
Warning: Spare pair of pants not included

Alien: Isolation was released on 7th October 2014. I pre-ordered and got it through my letterbox the very same day. Unfortunately due to real life commitments, I didn't get time to play it until the following evening.

As some of my audience may already be aware, I first experienced the Survivor Mode of Alien: Isolation at Eurogamer in September. This was the sole reason I pre-ordered the game. I have been dubious about all the positive reviews; the fact it scored so highly in a lot of publications really made me question whether there was some behind the scenes bribery going on. I don't know why, but if everyone seems to be saying the same things I wonder if they've all been paid to say it ...I needn't have been so pessimistic.

I sat down in a darkened room, volume up high, and booted up the game. However, it wasn't quite as quick as that. As soon as I started up the disk it said there was an update available. My initial thought: 'Already! It's been out just over 24 hours!' But that wasn't too much of a hassle. Then however, it had to install the contents of disk 1, which took about 20 minutes, then requested for disk 2 to actually play it. This was only a minor insignificance and just made my anticipation build.

Amanda Ripley
Amanda Ripley
You play as Amanda Ripley; the daughter of Ellen Ripley who you might know as the protagonist from the original 1979 Alien film. The place of the game in the timeline of the series is made obvious when the title scene is voiced over by Ellen (Sigourney Weaver) herself. Alien: Isolation starts with a man named Samuels - who works for the same company as Amanda Ripley - telling her that there is a possibility they have found her mother. A ship has discovered the flight recorder of the Nostromo; the spaceship where the whole Alien franchise begun and where Ellen went missing. The recovered flight recorder has been taken to the Sevastopol Station and a ship called the Torrens is going to collect it. Amanda has been invited by Samuels to go with them to Sevastopol as he knows she is searching for her mother. You take control when Amanda wakes up on the Torrens.

Straight away I noticed the look of the Torrens; it was very nostalgic of the original film with the shiny white walls, clunky keyboards and retro computer graphics. I liked seeing the return of the rocking bird, sitting on the desk doing it's usual backwards and forwards motion. The graphics are beautiful; even on my struggling 360 it looked wonderful. After an initial introduction to the Torrens, you space walk to the damaged Sevastopol and end up being split up from the other crew on your way to the space station.
Film Screenshot? Nope
When you reach the Torrens, you are introduced to the threat of human beings while they struggle to survive. The remaining people on the Sevastopol have guns, so you need to be weary of them. There are also the unpredictable malfunctioning androids who you need to keep an eye on. Each time Amanda meets someone you need to make the judgment call whether to stay incognito or to trust them. You are given a revolver near the beginning of gameplay, but using it is sort of a last resort. The firing of the gun will be heard by any nearby hostiles and the person you're firing at may have back up and/or a more powerful weapon. I have played the game for 6 hours and haven't even pointed it at anyone.

Not only do you get the revolver but you pick up blueprints as you explore the Sevastopol. With these blueprints you can make new weapons and ways to distract any enemies. These includes things like a noise maker and smoke bombs. There are also flares, a flamethrower and a blast stick. This game is not about combat however. Let me reiterate that - unlike previous Alien games, this one is not about shooting the xenomorph. It is made abundantly clear that there is no way of killing the alien, you can scare it off for a minute or so with the flamethrower but it isn't a 'spray and prey' game. If you are looking for that sort of gameplay, Alien: Isolation is not for you. It's all about stealth. Slow and steady wins the race.

Due to scarce save points, the game almost forces you to be stealthy. You can't run to the nearest save because the alien will stab you from behind before you even come close. I didn't find this frustrating though, I haven't gotten angry at the game (yet) but more at myself. If I happened to step out from under a desk a tad too early and my skull got crushed by two, dripping mouthes, I laughed at my impatience, not shouted at the game.

I have been very impressed by the AI. I have died a lot and every time I re-spawned the enemies never acted the same. I could never predict what was going to happen or what direction would be best to avoid hostiles. In some stealth games you can learn the movement of the AI characters; you know they're going to walk 10 paces forwards, turn their back to you then go 10 paces to the left, giving you an opportunity to leg it. Alien: Isolation doesn't have that. The AI is not predictable; it's so wonderful to finally be left guessing.
Xenomorph
Xenomorph in all its horrible glory

The Xenomorph looks terrifying, just as it should. It's slimy, tall and an ugly looking thing. It's clever. If you happen to be hiding in a locker, you see the alien walk away out of sight, then get out of the locker, the noise will attract the alien back again.  If you run, it'll hear you and it does chase you. You cannot outrun it. 

The tension is ongoing; the only time you can really breathe easy is during cutscenes. The darkness, the shaking, creaking of the ship and the random noises really add to the atmosphere. As well as this, the motion tracker really adds to the sense of dread; the sound of the beeping increasing and the moving dots coming towards you on the screen really ramps up the feeling of impending doom. You will spend most of the game with the motion tracker out. Not only does it show you the whereabouts of the alien but also the human residents and the androids; so it's hard to know what a dot represents, which makes it all even worse. The alien disappears up into the vents frequently and the glowing dot can still be seen on the tracker moving around. When you're trying to reach a destination and the dot on the motion tracker is moving closer and you don't know whether the xenomorph is actually around the corner or above you in the vents, is all enough to break you out into a cold sweat.

I must admit I am a bit of a wuss, and horror games aren't really my style, but I found this game not too terrifying to be unbearable. The only downside for me, is the out of sync audio during cutscenes -  and that's a tiny downside. For any fan of the original 1979 film, this is the alien game we've been waiting for.


Lauren

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate