Article- The Truth About Wicca Pt. I

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

This is an article I wrote for my Media Writing module. I got a 2:1, and was three marks off a first.

The Truth About Wicca


The other day, I was asked what my religious status meant on Facebook. My housemate had gone onto my page with her friends and they had seen the term 'Wicca'. One friend instantly concluded I was a witch and they thought that was a bad thing. My housemate told her friends that 'I couldn't possibly be a witch, I was too nice.' But that is not what Wicca is. There are many misconceptions about the religion, and yes, it is a religion.
     Whenever I tell people I'm a Wicca, they either look at me in complete confusion, or try to edge away slowly like I'm going to turn them into a frog. More often than not, I guess they're thinking I belong in an asylum. I'm overjoyed when they ask what it is.
    I would not call myself a witch. You can be a Wicca and a witch, but you can't necessarily be a witch and a WIcca. A witch is someone who does magic. You can be a Wicca and not do magic, so therefore you're not a witch. A Wicca is someone who has the beliefs and values of the Wicca religion, but who can also incorporate magic into their lives if they wish.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate