Dracula Inspired Piece

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

An abstract of writing I did for my Creative Writing final piece. We were looking at textual intervention and how a lot of literature is inspired by something that came before it. So this piece is inspired by Dracula, which was one of the novels we looked at in class, and it tells the story of how he became the 'monster'. It's set in the 18th Century:


Castle Dracula was a lively place where excited voices and laughter bounced off the walls and huge fires glowed in every room with candles dotted around on the surfaces. Count and Countess Dracula were greatly admired in Transylvania for their kindness and good humour. They both did much for the community; giving out food for the homeless that lived on the backstreets in the market square, and holding wonderful parties for anyone who could make it up the cliff road.
    At this very moment, as the sun was setting behind the fir trees, a great masked ball was about to begin. Soon, guests in their silk ball gowns, trimmed with lace and sequined slippers would be pulling up the wide driveway in their polished carriages. A great feast was laid out in the dinning room; gold plates and goblets spread across the table glittering in the candlelight.
    I stood alone above the winding steps in the great hall patiently waiting for the first hoof fall to echo along the path. Just turning 18, this would be my first ball as an adult, to be treated like one and allowed to join in the adults dancing. Glancing over at the polished mirror on the right of me, I straightened out my knee length silk coat. My mask looked back at me rather than my real face; it was blood red and curved under the bridge of my nose. Large black feathers fanned out of the top, that met at the hairline and they shone in the glow. Gold and silver paintwork twisted around the thin eyeholes and was dotted with diamonds.  


That's the first few paragraphs, I might post up a couple more later in the week.



Lauren

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate